Just Had a Car Accident? Here’s What to Do Next!
Being involved in a car accident in Dubai in your own car is stressful enough, so what happens when you have an accident in a rental car in Dubai?
1. First Things First
Immediately after an accident, here are few things you should do quickly:
- Take a deep breath and calm yourself down. You’ve just had a very jarring experience.
- Check yourself and any passengers in your car to make sure that no-one is injured
- From your car, check to see if anyone in the other car is injured. If it appears so, call the police at 999 immediately
- Check for traffic and step out of our your car carefully
- Inspect your car to see if there is any fuel leaking and for any fires
- Quickly take photos of the scene for use later
- If your car is drive-able, move it to the side of the road and let other vehicles pass
- If your car or the other car is not drive-able, find the red triangle (usually located in the trunk, some times alongside the spare tire under a cover, and sometimes stowed in a side panel in the trunk of the car)
- Slowly and carefully walk 5 feet behind your car and place the triangle on the road
- Check the passengers of the other car to see if they are ok
- At all times, stay calm. Do not raise your voice or vent your frustration at the other driver.
2. Report the Accident to the Police
The first step is to report the car accident to the police. If someone is injured or if there is serious damage to the vehicles, dial 999 anywhere in the UAE. The police will arrive at the scene and provide you with a report. This report states the cause of the accident and determines which party is at fault.
If it is a minor accident (where no one is injured or there is no serious damage to the vehicle), you must report it through the Dubai Police mobile app if you are in Dubai, or face paying an additional AED 100 as manual service charges. If you cannot go online, you can report the minor accident at one of 10 authorized Enoc petrol stations around Dubai or at any police station.
3. Inform your Car Rental Company
Once you have obtained the police report, contact your car rental company and find out what needs to be done. If you are renting from Newline Rent a Car and the car is no longer drivable, call the 24/7 roadside assistance service at +971 564458402. Newline Rent a Car will arrange a replacement car and also send a truck to collect the damaged vehicle.
Next, hand over the original police report to your car rental company. They will assess the extent of damage. If you were in an accident that was not your fault, and this is supported by the police report, you don’t have to pay anything. Newline Rent a Car has comprehensive insurance on all its cars and has a good record for safety as it regularly runs stringent safety checks on its vehicles.
How much do you pay?
The standard liability for an accident which was your fault, ranges from AED 1200 to AED 5000. This depends on the car rental company’s terms and conditions. At this point, Newline Rent a Car charges AED 1200 in case the accident is the drivers fault.
If the fault is of the other driver, then their insurance company is responsible to pay the amount. You just need to ask them to formally lodge the request.
At the time of renting a car, you can choose to include a Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or a Super Collision Damage Waiver, which controls the insurance excess – the maximum amount you have to pay in the event of damage to the car. These waivers vary by vehicle type and significantly reduce the liability on an accident.
It may save you excess cost if the car has a minor damage due to hit and run. In this case, you should visit the car rental company’s office and check the repair costs. For Carlease, if the repair estimate is only AED 350, then you may not need to pay the standard liability. But if the damage is significant and the car rental company needs to claim insurance, then you will have to pay the insurance excess amount.
Keep in Mind….
If the police report is not available, or if the driver violated the terms of the rental agreement, the driver will be liable to pay the full cost of repair. Carlease’ customer will pay for damages based on the Damage Rate Card. You can view the Damage Rate Card at any time as Carlease is super transparent about the costs to repair damages.